All of our gear is ready. All of our meals are planned and as ready as they can be. We’ve got babysitters for the entire brood of children. The truck is as close to being ready to go as it ever will be. But I’m still taking the time to do a thorough PMCS on our fishing rods before heading to the Greenbrier and the Gauley Rivers for our anniversary expedition.
I typically do this PMCS much earlier in the year. But this has been a weird year for me so I’m just now getting around to it. Regardless, I figure that it’s worthwhile to make sure my rods and reels are ready for action well before I’m all the way across the state paddling on a river I’ve never explored. Some would argue that as inexpensive as rods and reels are these days, this isn’t a worthwhile endeavor. That’s probably a good call – especially on the cheaper rods. I just figure that if I don’t have to pay to replace something, I’d just assume tend to what I already own.
The rods weren’t put away properly prior to our move so when I pulled them out for service, they were the proverbial “crow’s nest.” Fishing line was tangled between all seven poles. They were zip-tied to keep the top and bottom parts of each pole together. They were pretty much a mess.
After I untangled the crow’s nest, my next goal was to remove the dust cover from each reel and make sure that they weren’t too dirty and that they had plenty of line left on them. They all had enough line to last the season and none of them were too dirty for use. Had any of them been full of sand, mud or muck, I would have disassembled them as much as possible, removed all of the line and flushed thoroughly with water. After they dried, I would have lightly oiled the inner gears, reassembled and called that step done. But, as it were, they weren’t too bad so I let them be.
I took a minute for each pole to ensure that the eyelets were in line and not bent. They don’t work well if they’re not in straight to the pole and lined up properly.
After I looked them over in the garage. It was time to take them outside for a brief test run. I put our recycle bin out in the backyard and gave the kids and wife a chance to cast towards it. I took the time to provide some casting tips for them to forget and even Turtle had a chance to play around with an old rod and reel that wasn’t worth salvaging. While they did their duty testing the casting and reeling functions, I grabbed the end of the line and gave them some resistance to check the drag function. All operated well with no repairs necessary.
Finally, I gave my favorite pole, or “Number 1” as I like to call it, a few casts to make sure it was functioning properly. It’s my choice pole for larger bass fishing and catfishing. It never lets me down.
All of the rods and reels performed well. I expected to have to re-line a few of them or to do some cleaning and adjusting but they were all pretty much good-to-go.
I recommend that prior to each fishing season, you take a moment to check out your rods and reels to make sure that they are river-ready. As I said earlier, I’d much rather find a problem in my backyard than when I’m a day into a planned adventure with no way to make repairs or replacements.